A sarong is a brilliant blank canvas. I was given a set of fabric markers and they sat in my sewing basket for ages. But whip out a white sarong and I’ve got myself a project that I can do in an hour or two, perfect for the weekend or evening crafter like me.
It got me thinking – what can I make with a sarong and a little paint? Here are a couple of ideas.
1. Make a flag for the front porch. Improve on those kitchy little flags people hang from their eves… It could feature a big Easter egg. Or a jack o lantern. How about an earth with a peace sign?
2. Make a Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary banner that can be hung year after year.
3. Stamp it up! Take apples or potatoes and carve designs into them. Then dip into the fabric paint and make a repeating design. You may just want to wear this one!
t them decorate it with the fabric paint first (supervise kids carefully with permanent pigments!)
5. Decorate a beautiful Christmas Tree skirt, with painted holly or snowflakes, maybe even a little glitter! This is way easier to wash than those plastic felt things… And more interesting.
6. Tie dye! For those with liquid dyes, rubber bands and love of a good mess, this is a fun project! Here are some inspiration for tie dyed sarongs.